City goal spree dumps Dons


Glasgow City continued their excellent recent form with a resounding 16-0 win against Aberdeen at Glasgow Green today to stay top of the Premier League.

City were on the attack from the first whistle and were ahead in the fourth minute when Sue Lappin fired home from 8 yards after a Ruesha Littlejohn cross. Aberdeen then looked to be settling into the game but three goals in three minutes killed the game as any kind of contest.

Leanne Ross scored the first of the three, with a header from an Emma Fernon cross, to notch up her 100th strike for the team; joining Sue Lappin and Kat Lindner as the only players to have reached this milestone.

Ruesha Littlejohn then converted with a great strike from the edge of the box after wrong footing the Aberdeen defence with a great turn before Leanne Ross then notched again when she scored from a Lisa Evans pass.

On the 28th minute, Lauren McMurchie was next to join the score sheet when she ghosted in to slot home from an Emma Mitchell pass, which completely split the Aberdeen defence.

Sue Lappin then got her second of the day when she slammed home a loose ball in the box after Aberdeen had failed to clear.

McMurchie scored her own second of the game when the midfielder timed her run to perfection to meet a Leanne Ross pass and showed great composure to round the keeper before dragging the ball back past a defender and rolling into the net.

Sue Lappin completed the first half scoring with her hat trick goal when she headed home an Emma Fernon corner.

Half Time 8-0

City were passing the ball well from the start of the second half but took 10 minutes to increase their lead, when after an Emma Fernon drive cannoned back off the post, Leanne Ross was quickest to react for her third of the day.

Goals from Ruesha Littlejohn, from an Emma Fernon pass in the box, and Sue Lappin, who tapped in after the keeper had spilled a shot, increased City’s lead again.

City’s next goal came from an unusual source, when Claire Johnstone, one of City’s goalkeepers, came off the bench to play as a striker due to a flu bug and injuries, which had left the teams resources stretched. The goal was very well taken and saw Claire head home powerfully at the back post after Sue Lappin had found her brilliantly with a deep cross.

Emma Fernon was next to score, when striding forward from the full back position fired a 25 yard effort into the top corner.

Rachel Corsie, who had been unlucky in front of goal on a number of occasion throughout the match, finally managed to get the goal she deserved when after the ball broke loose following a couple of efforts at goal, she slammed home from close range.

The scoring was completed inside the last ten minutes when Suzanne Lappin added two more headed goals to take her personal tally for the day to six.

Following the game, City manager Peter Caulfield commented, “We played with great composure today and the girls were effortless in their distribution of the ball. Our commitment to passing the ball gave Aberdeen great problems throughout the match and enabled us to create many goal-scoring opportunities. Special praise must go to Suzanne Lappin for her fabulous 6 goal haul today and Leanne Ross for taking her total goals for the club beyond the 100 mark.”

Head Coach, Eddie Wolecki, added, “While Sue and Leanne deserve credit for their goals today, we must applaud all the players for what was a great performance. We now have a Scottish Cup semi final to prepare for, against Hibernian, so we have no time to savour this result as the games are coming thick and fast.”

City’s Scottish Cup semi-final against Hibernian will take place on Wednesday 20th October, at Toryglen Regional Football Centre, Glasgow, with a 6.30 pm kick off. The game will be the first ever senior match at this stage of the Scottish Cup to be played on the fabulous indoor pitch.

Picture by Glasgow City Club Photographer Lorraine Hill. For a full picture report of the match, please visit the photos section of our website. All images can be purchased by contacting